Privilege

Privilege- a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.

Why does privilege occur in a culture?

I really enjoyed the reading White Privilege, some of the things the author mentioned were really intersting, and some were comedic. I believe privilege in society comes from those who take power and liberation from others. In the Pedagogy of the Oppressed the oppressors gain privilege by not allowing liberation of a certain group of people. The oppressors know that they have these privileges and powers and the refuse to lessen them or restore liberation to others. From the reading white privilege this proves evident as well, the author stated that most men would say that most women are not treated equally to men, but the men would not lessen their privilege to make it even. When did we as a society become so power stricken???? If No one seems to be able or willing to give up a little power/privilege then how and when will we ever be a fair, and just society???

2 thoughts on “Privilege

1. I think you are right about living in a completely power stricken society. I also agree that power and privilege is given to those who are willing to take power and not be oppressed. I do not think that power and/or prestige has a single thing to do with skin color. I enjoyed your post, have a good weekend!